Thursday, November 19, 2009

Score!!!!!

Kaelyn and Ian played soccer again this Fall and Ian played T-ball as well. It's been great to see how much progress they have made! Kaelyn was on a brand new team with many girls brand new to soccer and only two of them had played together before. They lost every single game and it was sometimes painful to watch. I bribe my kids with icecream if they score a goal and I made sure they knew today was their last game and therefore their last chance.
Kaelyn's team played the same team as last week for some reason. Last week the other team defeated them with about 10 goals to 1. One of Kaelyn's former team mates was on this team and she was always the top scorer. She was missing today, so I figured there was a better chance. The first half was intense and the score stayed 0-0. Then the second half the other team scored twice. Then I think the girls realized they had to step up their game or lose again. The fastest little girl got hurt and had to leave the field. Then out of nowhere, Kaelyn made the perfect goal!  I wish I had caught it on camera, but i was too busy cheering on the team. You should have seen her excitement, jumping up and down with her hands up in the air. She caught on fire. She scored again and then almost a third time. Her team had one more goal and won the very last game. It was awesome to see everything they had been working on come together this time. They actually worked as a team and I was so proud of my Kaelyn, I almost cried. All the parents were standing and cheering. Definitely the most exciting game of the season. She had her party and got her trophy later in the day. I also found out the coach had told the girls she would pay them a dollar for every goal they scored. Unfortunately, she never payed up. I have one short video of her game. You can view it here.


Then Ian had his game a little while later. I had told him he should try to see if he could score more goals than his sister. There's nothing like a little healthy competition. He scored the first two goals of the game, but stayed in the back for most of the rest. He is an excellent defensive player, a fast runner and he has a strong kick and great ball control. His coach nicknamed him the Soccer Ninja. He is a great all-round player, but seems to prefer defense. Ian had his party and got another trophy right after the game. To see Ian play defense, click here.


Ian in action with his buddies, Cael and Tyler


Ian and his coach + trophy


T-ball ended on Halloween and I think Ian enjoyed it, but not as much as  soccer. He got to play pitcher his last game and I think he likes that field position most. Everywhere else he gets bored and too distracted. I tried to get a good picture of him and right after, the first player from the other team hit the ball and to everyone's surprise, he caught the ball! We were all cheering and he just stood there with his mitt in the air, like he didn't even know there was a ball in there. I asked him later how he caught that ball and he said he just held it up and closed his eyes and it just flew in there. Amazing!


Ian right before he caught the ball. He was ready!


It was pretty cold and windy. He was trying to stay warm.

1 comment:

susan r. said...

Good job Kaelyn and Ian!