Thursday, July 17, 2008

Rain and Butterflies


I haven't really kept up the blog lately. Maybe it's because my mind has been occupied with other things, or I'm just too tired and the kids and I have been pretty cranky. We did do some fun things... was it last week? Of course I didn't have my camera with me, so I'm sorry, but no pictures. Whatever week it was, it was our one break from the drought. Kaelyn and Ian were playing at a friend's house and when I drove in the rain to pick them up from her house, I saw some kids running down the hill in the 'river' that had formed on the side of the street. It turned out those were my and my friend's kids! They were floating their sandals or flip flops down the hill and running in the water to beat the stream before they went into the drain. They were soaked and it looked like so much fun, I almost joined them. Annika did and my friend took some pictures. I will add them if I can get them. The other highlight that week was the rainy day we spent at the zoo. I love to be at the zoo when it rains. It's usually pretty quiet and a lot cooler than with the sunshine. Anyway, I didn't bring any rain gear this time, so we ran from place to place. I caved and got tickets for the butterfly exhibit. It's just a greenhouse full of plants and butterflies. They had all kinds and the kids were able to have some of them crawl onto their finger. Their favorite was the Blue Morpho (see top of post) and they got to hold a few of those. One of them liked Ian so much, he landed on his shirt at one time. Another butterfly landed on his hat and Annika got so excited, she called out: "Look, a butterfly on Ian hat!"
It's been difficult for me to not really have a schedule anymore, but thankfully the kids get creative and invent all sorts of games and plays. Sometimes we do kids yoga or Kaelyn beautifies her backyard fairy house, we blow bubbles or play math games. Every now and then we can even be found in our swimming pool... Ahhhhhh, those childhood Summer days...

4 comments:

Jen said...

So cool! I think it's been healthy for my kids (as well) to just play, play, play during the summer! With cousins around there's not much else they want or need to do to have full, fun days.

Buxton Family said...

I love the new look of your blog. Speaking of zoos, we just went to the Houston Zoo yesterday and it is amazing. One of the best zoos we've ever been to. Also, it is free for military. Houston also has one of the best children's museums in the country and NASA. So, it is worth the trip if you haven't already been.

Anonymous said...

Children are so good at enjoying simple things and being creative.

Mikala said...

Sounds like so much fun! I was thinking about you the other day when I went to the store and found those sippy cups that you liked to use. The Tomme Tippe ones. I got a purple one for Marygrace. Glad the rain cooled things off for you.