Monday, September 29, 2008

First Glimpse

We finally got to take a look at our new baby this morning. And to think I almost didn't make the appointment... It was a crazy morning. We made it to school on time, but Ian's bus was really late, like 20 minutes late. When I walked back to the van, another mom was nice enough to draw my attention to my almost flat tire. Off to the gas station I went and someone was kind enough to help me fill it with air. When I dropped Annika off at a friend's house, she made it clear she didn't want to go. Really, she was kicking and screaming. I sat with her for a few minutes, trying to calm her down, but then I really had to go. I got on the freeway and there was a lot of traffic. I prayed I would make it on time. When I got to the base, I looked for my wallet to get my ID out, but I couldn't find the wallet. It just wasn't there and I started to panic. The guard at the gate asked for my ID, but I said I didn't have it, or my driver's licence, or anything that could identify me. The time for my appointment was just minutes away and I burst into tears as I tried to explain where I was headed. By some miracle he let me park by the gate and I ran (well, not quite, but I walked real fast) to the hospital. I met Nate there and he checked me in to my appointment...
I love ultrasounds. It's just amazing to get to see that there's a real little person in there that has arms and legs, a head and face, a beating heart... It took a while before the radiologist was satisfied with all the pictures and measurements, but he told me everything looked great. It's always such a relief to know that. Of course we wanted to know the gender of the baby and this little one was far from shy. Ian is happy to let everyone know that he's going to have a little brother. Kaelyn is getting over her disappointment, she would have liked to have another sister. Well, you can't please everyone. We're excited to have a balanced family (gender wise at least). If our scanner wasn't broken, I would post the pictures they gave me.
So on my way back from the hospital I got a phone call from Nate. Apparently Ian had a really bad cough and was running a fever. I went straight to the school to pick him up. He had been waiting for a while, I guess they don't have my cell phone number. Poor little guy... When I picked Annika up, she was asleep. To top it all off, I took Kaelyn to her piano lesson a half hour early. Luckily it's only a one minute walk. I must be losing my brain...

These are not the best ultrasound pictures, but use your imagination.
This one is a profile of the baby's head and you might be able to spot a hand or foot in there as well.

This is a picture of the face. Again, use your imagination. He kind of looks like an alien to me ;o)

5 comments:

Jen said...

Holy cow! What an ordeal! You are amazing that you survived all of that!

Congratulations!! That is super exciting!

Morgan said...

Yay! Ian is probably so incredibly excited to be having a brother! That's so great! Where do you take your kids for Tumbling?

Paisley Circle Chronicles said...

We are just so excited for another little Clement. And you make such beautiful children. The count will now be 10 boys and 5 girls! Wos. It's a good things the girls a strong!

Heather said...

what exciting news Debbie! Congratulations, we can't wait to meet him.

Darci said...

Yeah! Another boy to add to the mix. Congratulations. We miss you guys and hope all is well.