Friday, March 14, 2008

The Alien and the Girlfriend

First off, thank you all for faithfully reading this blog. I'm having so much fun putting it together. Your feedback has been so kind. Writing is kind of an intimidating task for me, but I love to write about the kids. Feel free to leave a comment (click on comments underneath a post).
Also, I added a play list to the top right corner of this blog. If you don't want to listen to any of the music, just click on the pause button at the top of the play list. If you'd like to listen to a different song on the list, just click on it and it will start. There are quite a few songs on it now, so you can also scroll by putting the mouse on the list and rolling the scroll button. I'm sure most of you have these things figured out already, but just in case...

On Wednesday, I finally got to meet the teacher for the gifted and talented program at Kaelyn's school. Kaelyn easily made it into the program which, I have to say, comes as a great relief. Kaelyn has been so much more excited about the academic part of school. She goes to the GT class every Monday afternoon. She has class with 9 other Kindergarteners and they learn advanced thinking and problem solving skills. The teacher is wonderful. Kaelyn came home with a worksheet the other day. It said 'Tomorrow's Alphabet' on it. She had drawn a picture of a baby and then written: K is for Baby... Then, on the other side: Tomorrow's Kaelyn. I was a bit puzzled at first, but then she explained to me the book they had read. The example she gave me was : B is for Egg... ;Tomorrow's Bird. Then it clicked in my head. How clever!

Kaelyn was lucky enough to be chosen by her PE coach to participate in the school district's PE spectacular last night. There were about 6 or 7 elementary schools that participated in various routines. I think every grade had 2 performances. Kaelyn's was the 'Martian Hop'. I was so curious when she told me about it. It sounded pretty weird to me. I caught most of it on video. It was so cute and hilarious that I could hardly keep the camera steady. Other performances used parachutes, hula hoops, streamers and handkerchiefs. It was pretty impressive. One school even had a stomp team and a unicycle team. I've never seen anything like this. I hope you enjoy the video (it's 3 minutes long, so may take a while to load). Kaelyn gets turned around by her coach in the beginning because, of course, she was facing the wrong way.



Ian has a crush on this little girl from church. She is actually a year older than him, but she is tiny and, I have to admit, very cute. She's in our Tuesday/Thursday preschool group and probably the reason why Ian loves going to preschool on those days best. I think he is determined to marry her when he grows up. I've heard many reports of them snuggling and hugging during preschool. It's pretty cute, but here's the thing: all the preschool boys have a crush on her and they sometimes cast foul looks at each other. They almost fight over who gets to sit by her. So maybe it's a good thing she's moving to Austin soon. Her name is Fielding and I took a picture of her and Ian on our rocking horse last Tuesday. It looks like her bangs need a trim:)

2 comments:

Becca S. said...

I LOVED that video. I can't wait until my kids are old enough to start doing that kind of stuff. That was so great. Kaelyn is so cute and spunky. The girl she was dancing with could hardly keep up with her!
I'm glad that Ian has an actual girl that he likes. Mitchell's girlfriend's name is "Joaner" and she is imaginary. I'll have to write about it on my blog sometime.

Anonymous said...

Wat een geweldige ervaring voor Kaelyn om op te treden voor zo'n groot publiek. Dat blijft je je hele leven bij net als de kinderliefdes. Wat zijn kinderen toch geweldig!Zo veel te ontdekken en te ervaren. Dank je wel voor het bijhouden van dit blog. Daaf heeft me gewezen hoe ik m'n reacties kan safen.
Heel veel liefs en sterkte. mam