Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Cardinals vs Yankees

Last night, for Family Home Evening, we watched Ian play his T-Ball game against the Yankees. I was a little worried, since he struck out twice last Saturday. He started out in the field, in the pitcher position. He obviously had no idea what he was supposed to do, but his coach was standing right next to him and taught and helped him as the game went on. When it was Ian's turn to hit, coach made sure he knew to start running to first base as soon as he hit the ball. But it seemed like Ian wasn't real sure where first base was. He hit the ball and started running towards the base, then veered to the right and tripped over his own feet. He smacked down flat a few yards next to the base. The Yankee pitcher threw the ball to first base, but luckily the base man didn't catch the ball and Ian was able to make it to first base. I can't remember if it was after this incident or his second hit that the next hitter, Thomas (a full head taller than Ian), hit a home run. We were all screaming: 'Run Ian, run!' He stopped on each base and then started running again. Thomas was running right behind him and Ian ran as fast as he could on his little legs. They both scored and we all clapped and cheered. I almost cried. Later in the field, on third base this time, Ian was just playing with the dirt, throwing it on his hat and not paying attention to the game at all. When it was his turn to hit next, his teammates started cheering him on: 'Ian, Ian, Ian, Ian!' It seemed to give him more confidence. He hit the tee a few times before hitting the ball, but he made it to first base again! A few hitters later, he ran across the home plate again, everyone cheering and clapping. Ian was just beaming with delight. He's got a great team. They all kind of treat him like their little brother. The coaches are fabulous and so patient with him. He's probably a little young to be playing the game, but he asked me this morning if he would be playing T-Ball again today and was disappointed to find out he doesn't get to play till Saturday. After the game, Ian ran off the field and into my arms, smiling from ear to ear. I'm so glad he gets to have this experience.

3 comments:

Jen said...

I so relate with you on the emotions of a mother for her children! It is such a relief when these little guys are treated so well by good people on their teams! And it is so exciting to see them do well! What a great confidence builder!

Mikala said...

Great job Ian. Hey, I started a blog also, but I have not updated it yet really. jakeandmikala.blogspot.com

Hey, where did you put the link to the playlist? I've been trying all night.

Becca S. said...

Hooray for Ian! I am so glad that he has such a great team.