Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Lefty for a Day

On Monday, when I picked Ian and Annika up from the kids room after yoga, I was told that someone had stepped on Annika's hand. I didn't think anything of it and thought she was extra whiny because she was tired. Not so. I couldn't even touch her right arm or she would start crying. She kept holding on to her hand and held her arm against her body. Even when she was asleep she still cried when I touched her hand. She completely refused to use her right hand and I started to worry. I didn't see any bruise or swelling, but finally decided to take her to the doctor. They took X-rays of her wrist and elbow. While we were waiting for the X-rays, I thought I'd try and explain to Annika what would happen. I told her they were going to take a picture of her hand. She looked at me and , with a frown, told me 'No!' She got up and started running away from me. I ran after her and took her back to the waiting area. She got off her seat again and ran away from me and around the corner. When it was time for the X-rays. Annika plainly refused. I held her while one of the techs held her little arm in position. Annika was so mad, she was screaming. She was still crying after we walked out and I asked her what I could do for her. She replied: 'Have to go potty.' So she went potty and then it was back to pediatrics. They didn't see anything on the X-ray, so we were sent home with some Motrin. She still refused to use her right hand and started to do everything with her left hand. It was the weirdest thing. The next morning she was still guarding that arm, but slowly started to use it again. In the evening it was like nothing had ever happened. Maybe she just wanted to try using her left hand for a day....

1 comment:

Jen said...

What a strong personality! You are a good mom, Debbie!